9.01.2009

:: katrina's photography class ::

This morning I went into town to the bookstore and had a bite of lunch while there . . . I sampled Tony Earley's newest book "The Blue Star" while I was there. I want to read it, but think I will see if our library has it before I think of buying it. I loved "Jim the Boy" so much and would like to read it again.

After lunch I ran by the fabric store and picked up a cute little gown and robe pattern to use for a couple of Christmas gift projects. When I got back home, I printed off the PDF file for Katrina's new photography class that I am taking at "Get it Scrapped" and took off for a short walk around the house with my camera in hand. I didn't find a subject that I liked for the assignment, but did find lots to work on my focus on.

{ only one of our Pin Oak Trees is loaded with acorns }

{ "Kitten Tails" in the setting sunlight }

{ side yard fence }

{ golden leaves of early fall }

{ room for rent }

{ maple leaves last green blast }

{ missing both of our 4 year olds today }

{ I really need to clean the kitchen }

I worked on the first lesson in Katrina's "Through the Lens" Class this afternoon. The assignment for this week is all about Focus.

1 On this one I used the focus with the far right hand focus {on blue spool of thread}. I think that this one has the sharpest focus on the blue spool. But it is actually pretty hard to see the difference.

2 And, for this one I used the central focus
{on the blue spool} and recomposed.

Assignment # 1: I camera was set on AV mode. I used the center weighted focus on the first photo and the right side one on the second photo of my spools of thread. I focused and then held the button down and recomposed my shot. For the second photo I used the right focus and didn’t need to recompose. I think that the second one is sharper and the moving of the little red focus “eyes” wasn’t that much more trouble. I think that if I really do want a sharp focus in the future that I will take the time to use the second method. But for general shooting I think that I like the center weighted focus the best.

  • I will try to use the little cross button to manipulate the focus points more often after learning about what it is for.
  • I didn’t use the Back Button method . . . I am saving that one for some more reading up on.

  • I will work on the last two of these for the remainder of the time on the first assignment.
    . . . . One Shot
    . . . . AI Servo/Continuous-servo (C) “Focus tracking”
    . . . . AI Focus/ Single-servo AF (S)
  • I would love to be able to learn how to have an expanded sharp focus area (example: the photo above of the acorns) and still have the blurred background. I don't like that the acorns on the right side are out of focus.

    3 comments:

    1. You did a great job Mollie. Love the light in all your shots.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Love these Mollie! You are truly mastering your new camera ;) (and wow, if that kitchen is dirty, mine should be condemned!)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Mollie....your photos are just beautiful. I love how you view the world, you take ordinary things and make them extraordinary! Bravo!

      ReplyDelete