11.04.2009

11 . 04 . 2009

I called to see if I  could pick up Henry from his school today at 1:30 and drive out to Dry Creek to the farm.  Papa said that he would take us on a Gator ride and we could see the beautiful leaves and the new cows.   But . . . he was sick and stayed home from school today . . . and James stayed home too  . . . J. was croupy and H. just wasn’t himself.  So my little outing is now on hold.  

So . . . I took my book { That Old Cape Magic } to the Cracker Barrel for a lunch date . . . just the two of us.  We got the tiny table right in front of the fireplace, which is my favorite in cold weather!   I must finish that book tonight and tomorrow . . . it was due at the library yesterday.  It is hard for me to read one of the books that is a hold book in seven days sometimes . . . life does involve more than reading it seems.

2004-31121WFrontOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I took the three luggage tags that E. got to the embroidery shop so they could put our last name on them.  Then went into the Peddler just to enjoy their pretty things!   They have so many pretty Christmas decorations out now . . . I don’t need a thing . . . but it is nice to dream.  I found a great little Santa Claus that I thought I would get for all three of the girls . . . but they were very.very.very expensive!  Some of them were over $200.00!

Stopped to fill up the car with gas at Kroger’s and then went on back home.   I’m listening to "I’ll Be Seeing You” by Penelope Stokes in the car . . . it is good, interesting . . . and very inspirational.  The story is written about the lives of the characters  during the World War II era.  I had read one other of her books a few years ago called “The Blue Bottle Club” and really did enjoy it, so when I saw this one at our library I took it for the car.

I am being really careful with my computer . . . no Photoshop . . . not more than one or two things open at once either.  I don’t want it crashing before I can order and receive my new one later this month.  I am really having digital withdrawal!   I do miss creating my scrapbook pages so much.  But, having the internet is good . . . I do enjoy it!

I read a few blogs and Mary at My Little Red House asked these questions on her blog today:

1. What is your favorite movie?  Gone With the Wind . . . it’s the best . . . I laugh . . . I cry.  Mother told me that she went to the premier of “Gone With the Wind” in Atlanta at Lowes Theater in 1939.  She had the original program that she got in Atlanta . . . she let me take it to school and someone borrowed it from me and we never got it back.Wind crowd Crowds LBMPE2-005c

LBMPE2-009a 2. What is your favorite piece of clothing?  My fisherman sweater  . . . I wear it all winter!  I knit it in 1970 when E. was in Vietnam and I was pregnant with Mark.  Michael, Mark & I were living with Aunt Velma that year . . . I would go to the Knit Shop on the square near the Draft Board where Vela worked.  Helga, the lady who owned the shop helped me with that very difficult pattern.  I still love the sweater.

3. What is your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?  Read & clean out closets or sort through drawers.  I LOVE rainy days.  The darker and more dreary the better . . . somehow they just energize me!

4. What was your favorite childhood book?  The Childhood of Famous American’s series . . . when I was a child in the 1950’s they had orange covers.   I think I must have read everyone that our library had on its shelves. I have bought several of these little treasures at antique stores some years ago.  Some of our grandchildren love to read them now.

Scan10023_small

Scan10013_smallBook0695_small

When I was even smaller, Mother would buy Little Golden Books illustrated by Eloise Wilkins . . . I still have most of them and they obviously have been read over and over again.  I still love to page through them as still love the rosy cheeked children that garnish the pages

5. What is your favorite room in your home?  The family room in our house is bright and cheerful with its yellow walls and red upholstery.  It is even more cozy in the winter time with a fire going in the fireplace!  My favorite time in this room is at Christmas when the stockings are hanging and the trees is shining with hundreds of tiny white lights.

I had a yummy baked sweet potato for supper and when E. came in from the farm he didn’t want what I had, so I fixed him a bowl of tomato soup.  He always has a story to tell after being at the farm all day . . . today Bill brought him two more heifers who are each having a calf in the late winter.  And, this one . . . he heard a noise coming from the coffee pot which was sitting on the counter top.  He thought that there probably was a mouse in it . . . but on closer inspection he saw a little bird.  A type of woodpecker inside the pot.  I did have the lid off, but he has no idea how the little thing got inside.  Thinking that Henry and I were coming there in the afternoon . . . without thinking, he put something over the hole in the top.  Then later on he went to release the little bird and it had suffocated to death.  E. felt so bad . . . he said that he just wasn’t thinking when he put the cover on the pot.  Last week he was looking for the chestnuts that were in a bowl on the table and couldn’t find them.  Then when he went to put on his wet weather boots in the kitchen, he felt something in the bottom of them . . . he quickly removed his foot!   Dumped it out . . . and there were the missing chestnuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment