7.29.2009

:: a good book ::

I just finished this book today and I think that I will give The Lost Mother 4 stars. For some reason {maybe the uncertain times today} I have read several books written about the Depression Era lately. This one was so well written and the first book that I have read written by Mary McGarrey Morris . . . I am definitely going to read her debut book, "Vanished" soon. The writings below this book jacket photo are from Reading Group Guides. I just love the cover of this book and found that the photograph of the little girl was taken in the 1935 by Dorothea Lange.

Since the publication of her astonishing debut, Vanished, Mary McGarry Morris has been compared with John Steinbeck and Carson McCullers and widely praised as "a superb storyteller" (The Washington Post) and "one of our finest American writers" (The Miami Herald). Now, in her sixth novel, Morris has achieved new heights with her riveting chronicle of the Talcotts, a family in rural Vermont during the Great Depression.

Abandoned by his beautiful wife, Irene, Henry and their two young children, Thomas and Margaret, spend that summer in a tent on the edge of Black Pond. Henry, an itinerant butcher, struggles to provide for them, but often must leave them alone as he travels the county in search of work. And while Henry loves his children deeply, he is devastated by their mother's desertion. He has not told them why she left or if she'll return. When Mrs. Phyllis Farley, a prosperous neighbor, begins to woo the children as companions for her strange, housebound son, Henry must weigh an unusual proposition, the consequences of which may cost him everything. Powerfully imagined and intensely felt, The Lost Mother is a haunting masterwork and McGarry Morris's strongest novel to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment