8.03.2009

:: make a list monday ::

Michelle's prompt: Today's list is a simple and silly one for sure. I am making a huge assumption that the majority if not all of us are the homemakers in our home. We cook and clean, we keep the general functioning of our home in order. I, by nature, am a list maker I love the feel of a to-do list being crossed off, but not everyone is. However I would be willing to bet that the majority of even none list makers make a grocery list here and there. Your assignment for Make a list Monday, August 3rd is to show us your grocery list and give us a little insight into your home life. You might want to include info like how often you have to shop, how crazy it is to shop for teenage boys, things that seem to always be on the list, just whatever feels like a fun addition to you.

I am a list maker too. And, like Michelle I love the finality of crossing something off of my list . . . I cross them off with gusto! You should have seen the lists that I made when we were planning the weddings of our children . . . they were epic! Thankfully that part of my life is over and I will never again have a list as long or as far reaching as those. I have to do lists of chores to accomplish . . . phone calls that need to be made and notes and cards to send & lists of places that I need to be and appointments to keep. Mostly these are all scattered among the grocery lists and “remember” items. I write on the backs of envelopes, index cards, scraps of "scrapping" papers & on my pocket notebook & calendar. I have actually written things on my hand should I think of it while I'm driving! I know that is bad!

It is just my husband and myself who live under our roof 24 - 7 these days . . . our four children are grown with families of their own and out of the nest & my husband is recently retired. But, we still have to eat and we do have children and grandchildren who live nearby! So . . . often my grocery list includes chocolate milk, popsicles, chips & other items that the kids love. Ice cream sandwiches were on my list last week for a swim party our 13 year old had at our house and I always keep hot dogs and apples for them. A few days before that we had our son's 41st birthday party so I had the makings for his birthday cake on my list and hamburger fixin's too. My shopping is definitely less involved and less frequent since our children left home. I go to the grocery only when I want to & my husband enjoys shopping for his "treats" too.


My grocery list for this week today:

Granny Smith apples
Bananas
Corn
Grapes
Whole milk
Chocolate milk
Chicken
Martha White flour
Sprite Zero
Diet Cokes
Tide
Dreft
Shampoo
Deodorant
Caltrate + D
Zip Drive
Fountain pens {the new Sharpie ones}




Post script . . . what was in my cart when I checked out that was not on my list!

One paper back book – “The Wednesday Letters”
{I couldn’t resist that red cover & and appeal of letters}
Three bottles of bubbles for the grandchildren
Tylenol for me when the grandchildren go home
Three magazines – Victoria, Paula Deen Cooks, Scrapbooks ETC
Clorox
Carrot juice
Cranberry juice
Multi-Vitamins

{and a Heath bar to eat in the car}


The blue one was today's . . . the others ~ last weeks assorted lists!

{the list on the index card are a few "quotes" from our three year old grandson that I found last week in the pocket of some jeans that I hadn't worn since last year}


I find that often I will buy what I need to make supper and then we will decide to eat cereal or go out to eat. I must be vigilant to not let products linger on the shelves to long. Often I take a sack of canned goods to the food bank just because I haven't used them as planned. I would love it if I could purchase only one sleeve of crackers rather than four and have two go stale. I often have items in our refrigerator mold before I can use all of them.


Our children love to go shopping in my cupboards and freezer for things that I haven't used (not the moldy things). Our grandchildren sometimes look at the expiration date of things that they pick up to eat! Drat those cute little guys!

7 comments:

  1. Love those photos and the list of things not on the list!
    You are right Mollie the blog is looking good

    ReplyDelete
  2. that photo is fantastic and the lists.. and sharpie has fountain markers???? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mollie, I loved so post........it sounds so much like what I planned to write. I too buy things for dinner and then decide to have a bowl of cereal or go out. Now that we are both retired, it is not as structured as it was when all 5 kids were home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you buy all of the things that the kids like even though they don't live with you! What a nice Grandma! I had to laugh at "Tylenol for me when the grandchildren go home" My little ones wear their Grandma out but she keeps asking them back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm chuckling over the tylenol stash! fun list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the picture of all the lists...unfortunately if my husband kept all of mine he found in a week well the pic would need to be a panoramic! I totally get the crossing off of items too...sometimes I'll put something on a list that I've already done and cross it off...just to add that extra sense of accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool is all of this! Molli you are a natural for blogging with all your computer know how, writing and photography!

    ReplyDelete